Frequently Asked Questions
There are 3 situations that can cause this issue. One, or all of them can be the cause, so be sure to try the steps in each scenario if the issue persist after performing the steps each section. Refer the resolution(s) to each cause in the instructions below.
Scenario 1. Windows Security Settings.
Windows has introduced a new security setting which in some cases, turns off the ability to record on the computer.
To resolve this:
1. Left-click on the Windows button in the lower right-hand side of the screen in the Task Bar, and type "Settings", then click on "Settings" or hit Enter on the keyboard to open the Settings window.
2. In the Settings window, Left-click on "Privacy".
3. In the "Privacy window, under "App Permissions", left-click on "Microphone".
4. Turn on the option to "Allow apps to access your microphone" option.
5. Restart the computer for the setting to take effect.
Scenario 2, Exclusive Mode.
If the error persists, make sure that "Exclusive Mode" is also disabled for all ASI record devices in the system.
To disable Exclusive Mode:
1. Left-click on the Windows button in the lower left-hand side of the screen in the Task Bar and type "Control Panel", then left-click on Control Panel in the search results or simply hit the Enter key on the keyboard to open the Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, left-click on either "Sound" or "Hardware and Sound" depending on your view settings in the Control Panel.
3. In the Sound Settings, left-click on the "Record" tab. Select the first record device, then left-click on the "Properties" button for that device:
4. In the "Record Deck Properties" window, select the "Advanced" tab, and un-check "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and left-click "Apply" and OK:
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each record deck, then reboot the system for the settings to take effect.
Scenario 3, record path settings in Simian.
Check to make sure your record paths are set to a valid path/save location in the Simian settings screen:
1. In Simian, left-click on Tools, then Options. Then left -click on the "Paths" tab. To change the path, left-click on the "set" button, select the proper Recordings folder, then left-click the OK button.
Below are the recommended path settings for saving recordings with Simian.
Record Deck 1.
Record Deck 2: