Frequently Asked Questions
Play Dry Weather Forecast and Sounder with Background Audio Dynamically Added
IntroductionSome stations/clusters have the need to play a dry weather forecast reading, followed by a station-specific sounder/station ID with a background music file playing at the same time. Normally, to include the station-specific sounder/id and station-specific background music or weather bed, you'd have to use multi-track audio editing software to manually produce an audio file for each station, every time the weather forecast changes, even though the dry weather file is the same between each station.
There is a simple way to accomplish this process for playback of the dry weather file on multiple stations in an OpX multi-station setup that will dynamically combine the dry weather file shared between multiple stations in your OpX multi-station installation and each stations' specific sounder/ID and background music file!
NOTE: This method will only work properly if the dry weather reading is ALWAYS the same length and the sounder/ID for each station is the same length. This does NOT take in to account variable lengths of weather reading. Additionally, your weather bed/music audio file will need to be the same length as the dry weather reading plus the sounder/ID, plus one second of segue time.
How is it Done?To accomplish the weather playback, you will need to make a cart using the Import Merge utility for each station with the following elements:
1. PLAYASYNC [Weather Bed] (where [Weather Bed] is the name of your dry weather bed audio file - Starts playing weather bed in the auxiliary playback deck
2. Dry weather audio file - plays the weather reading in the main deck while the weather bed continues to play
3. Weather sounder/id audio file - plays sponsor audio in main deck after dry weather finishes
4. PAUSE :01 - holds the starting of the next item in the program log for one second after the sponsor audio has completed to allow the weather bed to finish and sound better in the transition to the next log item
To build the cart with the above items, perform the following steps:
- With the Import Merge utility open, create a new virtual cart by going to the File menu and choosing New, then selecting New Cart.
- Now that you have a new, blank cart open, go to the Edit menu and choose Insert New Item.
- In the Adding New Item window that appears, enter the Cue type as "+", the Category as "MACRO", and the Description as "PLAYASYNC [weather bed audio file name]" where [weather bed audio file name] is the actual file name of your weather bed/background music file (without the extension), then click OK. Note that the length is entered in the image below, but it is not necessary.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the rest of the required entries for the dry weather audio file, the sounder/ID audio file, and the pause macro. Once you have entered all of the entries, your cart should appear as follows (again, the length entries are there for emphasis but are not necessary):
- Save your cart by going to the File menu and choose Save As, select Virtual Cart for the file type, enter your desired file name, and click OK.
Now you can insert the cart in to your program log and it will play the background music and at the same time start the weather reading followed by the sounder. When your dry weather reading audio file changes, playback of this cart will automatically include what ever the current version of the weather reading audio file is (as long as it has the same file name as the original one).
Note: This will only sound appropriate if the lengths of each file remains the same for all iterations of new recordings (length of bed = weather + sponsor), otherwise, either the bed will play too long and “train wreck” into the next audio file on the log or the dry sponsor audio will run longer than the bed.
Last updated Thu, Jul 10 2014 1:26pm